The Efficacy of the Decontaminant
Foam Developed by SANDIA National Laboratories of Albuquerque,
Questioned. PART II
Part I, ASA Newsletter 03-1 of 28 February, ASA expressed strong
reservations on the efficacy of SANDIA's claims for the decontaminant
foam it had developed. We were able to show that SANDIA's claims
were misleading at best. In fact the foam could be considered
dangerous to the user, if the user were to employ SANDIA's foam
for decontamination, such as with a real life - now chem/bio decontamination
requirement. (cont. page 27 - SANDIA)
The following is a report by Prof. Geissler
on his new book which takes a look at the BTW arms race and
the influence of the 'secret services' on all sides. We hope
to have a book review by the next ASA issue in June 2003.
Anthrax and the Inadequacy
of the Secret Services
Professor Erhard Geissler Max-Delbrück-Centrum
für Molekulare Medizin, Berlin
central thesis is: The biological arms race was inadvertently
started by the German military intelligence in WWI. In my
new book I describe how the biological and toxin weapons (BTW)
arms race in the Twentieth Century was mainly irrational and
strongly determined by the inadequacy of the secret services
in many countries. Germany's military intelligence was the
first to use anthrax and glanders bacteria as weapons in World
War I (WW I). These biosabotage actions were not very successful.
However, they had severe and completely different, sustaining
ASA continues to cover the world
in the content of the ASA Newsletter.
Within this issue you will find complete articles from 10 countries
plus you will find mention of NBC events in over 15 other countries.
- US and a US National Laboratory
- Germany and Prof. Geissler's look at German BW and the BW
mentality in general
- Iran and very timely medical reports on CW casualties
- Singapore and a very respected international laboratory
- Croatia and the 9th meeting of the CBMTS "The Second World
Congress on C/B/R Terrorism"
- Finland and their 5th NBC Symposium
- Switzerland and new leadership for SPIEZ Laboratory
- Czech Republic looks at a new Czech prophylactic antidote
against nerve agent
- Canada looks at protecting the First Responder
- Poland held a very interesting NATO ARW on BT Prep.
- Germany and a new generation decon solution
an inside look at ASA 03-2 page